Front End Software Engineer - Mid Level
IMPORTANT: Applicants – When filling out your name and other personal information below, DO NOT use any special characters or ALL CAPS. Use only standard letters in the English alphabet. Including special characters or all uppercase letters will cause errors in your application.
We are currently seeking talented Front End Engineers – Mid Level for our Phoenix, AZ facility.
USAA Front End Engineers create and maintain the front-end portion of our business software applications. Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these systems are or how we've made them simpler, faster, and safer. Yet, they help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and responsibility.
Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks. You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our members will be far more significant.
As a Front-end Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions. Your responsibilities will require you to be familiar in front end development best practices and frameworks, creating beautiful experiences for our internal and member facing systems. You will be required to be knowledgeable in understanding user requirements and tailoring user experiences accordingly. You will engage with business clients, UI designers, developers and architects to create high performing and easy to use systems via the web as well as mobile-based applications. You will create and implement design principles that ensures that our content renders well across multiple devices. You will use and promote the use of front-end and mobile testing tools to ensure quality.
As a Front-end Engineer, it will be your responsibility to maintain code integrity and quality.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 3,400 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on Agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
This Job Posting is for multiple openings available in 2018.
- With limited guidance performs defect correction (analysis, design, code) on less complex issues and/or codes applications of medium complexity. With guidance begins to install, customize and integrate commercial software packages. Works with more tenured peers to gain understanding of systems while conducting root cause analysis of issues, reviewing new and existing code and/or performing unit testing.
- Works with experienced team members to conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing. Learns to create system documentation/play books and attends requirements, design and code reviews. Receives work packages from manager and/or delegates.
- Understands and assists in gathering and analyzing customer requirements and may respond to outages following the appropriate processes.
- Partners with experienced team members to develop accurate estimates on work packages. May begin to identify issues that impact availability
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) majors or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 1+ years of experience working with Agile methodology
- Experience in translating front-end mockups and wireframes into functioning applications
- 1+ years’ experience in designing/coding for high availability and performance.
- 1+ years of experience with rapid prototyping / simulations / iterative design
- Experience supporting accessibility requirements from ADA (Section 508 subset of a11y).
- 2+ years of experience on closures/Prototypes/JS.this and variable scope
- Understanding of HTTP interaction with browsers (request types, request headers, synchronous/asynchronous requests).
- Understanding of page rendering orchestration within a browser
- Experience at using browser development tools within each major browser
- Delivering software using a container based infrastructure
- Familiar with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Experience testing in Selenium frameworks
USAA Front End Engineers create innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into leading-edge technology
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but self-motivated
- Community-focused, dependable and committed
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
USAA's most valuable resource is our 30,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning and continuing education.
We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
How to apply
Apply through Stack Overflow