This job offer is expired
Aula is a conversational platform for education. Think ‘Slack for education’: consumer tech on the front-end yet complex infrastructure on the back-end. We’ve built Aula because we believe digital infrastructure should encourage community and participation-based learning.
For students, this means less one-way communication from the teacher, more collaboration with fellow students (using integrations with tools like GitHub and codepen) and easier access to student services like the welfare team - even if you’re commuting or are away from campus on a placement.
We’re a bunch of people from all over the world (Denmark, France, Albania, Georgia, Pakistan) that care deeply about making educational experiences more engaging. Our developers has previously lead teams that have built things like the Georgian version of Youtube (myvideo.ge with 2.5 million monthly unique viewers) and a novel view to share and view 3D medical images (TissueStack), so beyond focusing on creating a supportive and collaborative environment where features get shipped quickly, we also have quite a bit of experience.
You’ll be working closely with Oliver, our CTO, so we thought we’d put a face on him.
We are backed by a world-class team of investors such as Nordic Makers - an angel group including Co-founders of Unity and Zendesk - Oxford professor Jan De Neve, and executives from LinkedIn and IBM.
Our tech stack
Oliver has written an in-depth blog post explaining the bleeding edge tools we use to build educational infrastructure of the 21st century. Here’s a quick overview of what we’re building with:
- React (and React Native)
- Micro-service backends with Node.js and AWS
- Mongo, Redis and others dbs
Working at Aula
We think the most important variable in choosing a job is getting the chance to work on complex and important problems with friendly and curious people in a collaborative environment.
But beyond that, joining Aula also means
- A rare opportunity to develop skills in building both consumer tech interfaces as well core infrastructure back-ends
- Being part of a fast-paced and mission-driven startup made up of a creative, friendly and international team.
- Plenty of responsibility, autonomy and encouragement to shape your own tasks and contribute original ideas.
- A supportive environment with an intense focus on learning and improvement
You’ll be doing pair programming, have one-on-ones where we speak about how to develop you both as a programmer and a leader, and occasionally jump on a video call and share a ‘remote meal’ while a team member speaks about a topic they care about. Once a month we also have ‘Mad Computer Science Idea’-day, where the entire team gets together to create something that has never been created before or using some tech that’s usually not used for that purpose.
We’re looking for a true full-stack developer that can build a features across the entire stack (front-end, back-end, mobile). Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be working on:
- Building backend microservices
- Working directly with Adrian, CPO and designer, to build, maintain and improve slick user interfaces across devices.
- Switching between different apps and devices (web, desktop, iOS, Android).
- Improving and maintaining our distributed architecture.
The main thing we care about is shipping great products that have an impact on education. But we hire for skills and attitude over experience, so we wanted to share our thoughts on the path you’ll have within Aula. This framework will also form the basis of your one-on-ones. The timeline is just indicative: for experienced developers it might be much, much quicker - either way, we’ll support you to get there as fast as humanly possible.
We hope you’ll join us for the mission, the work and the people. But hey…
Work on hard and important problems with people who care.
Focus on your trajectory, not just your role. Dedicate 3 hours a week to building the skills and connections you’ll need for your dream position at Aula in 3 years.
Shared ownership: Joining the Aula journey means you will own part of the company.
Learning & Development stipend: Receive a small stipend for any training you would like to do in your spare time.
Work remotely: Our developers have full flexibility to live and work wherever they please.
Technology: Get hooked up with the technology to do your best work.
Free books: We’re all about books. We’ll send you as many as you can read.
Family Leave: If your family grows while at Aula, we recommend taking 1-3 months off - regardless of when you joined.
The most important about you is that you are curious and care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives. You are excited about joining a startup with all the ups and downs that entails. You are excited about shipping quickly. You are excited about trying out the newest technologies. You are ready to work hard to further our mission.
Beyond this, our requirements are:
- You have both front-end and back-end experience
- You have experience creating and iterating on products from end-to-end: we think there are certain things that freelance and agency work doesn’t teach you such working end-to-end (full feature) on an entire system.
- You live within GMT-5 and GMT+5.5 (from South America/Central US time to India, Pakistan and some of Russia) for us to be awake at the same time.
We’re open to people at different experience levels as long as you feel this description captures you well.
We put a lot of effort into finding and developing the right team members and we prefer to spend our time on candidates that take the time to understand if they fit into the role. Please start your application with the words ‘I breathe semicolons’ to show that you took your time to read all of this
Look forward to hearing from you,
The Aula team