This job offer is expired
Who You Are
You are an experienced software developer, and you want to make a difference. You want to work at an organization where the people care about what they are doing and work hard to achieve it.
We’re not building a team for a day—this is a project for the long haul. More than anything else, we’re looking for people who are excited by our mission, love to create, are honest about what they know, fascinated by what they don’t, and relish the opportunity to work with people who value the same.
We know that the best candidate may not fit neatly into the boxes we define here so if this sounds like a place you want to work, even if you’re not confident you perfectly match our posting, we still encourage you to apply! We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Facebook page, Twitter, or Instagram.
As part of the engineering team at BlueLabs, you’ll...
- Design. We’re working on some challenging engineering problems, and our engineers are driving the process of solving those problems. You'll need to understand the problem and define it. Your own expertise and experience will help us design the solution we need.
- Collaborate. Every project benefits from diverse viewpoints from the very beginning, and so you’ll work closely with our clients and with our analysts, data scientists, and other engineers to develop the technology that empowers them to run data-driven programs.
- Explore. Technology—especially around data and analytics—is moving fast, and we need to stay nimble. That means trying new things. They won’t always be the ultimate solutions, but they’re an important part of the path to getting there.
- Build. You won’t just write code. You’ll build apps, systems, and solutions that are challenging, exciting, and long-lasting.
As a Software Engineer at BlueLabs:
- You and the rest of the team will lay the foundation for an exciting new approach to data science.
- You’ll be a trusted experienced engineer, turned to for guidance on technical matters.
- You will work directly with our clients and our data scientists to craft solutions to their needs.
- You will dive in to our tech stack and platform to understand how we can use it to build those solutions.
- You’ll design and build extensions to that platform that can be used over and over by future projects and clients.
- You’ll be a key voice during code reviews, guiding us towards the right abstractions and away from premature optimization.
- You will help design and implement the tools and infrastructure that are behind the day-to-day work of our data scientists and many others.
- You will work with our analysts and data scientists to create sophisticated tools and engines to acquire, transform, analyze, and present data to solve real customer problems.
- And sometimes you will get your hands dirty working on those problems directly as part of a cross-disciplinary data science team working with a client.
- Understand the basics of a specialty - e.g., web frontend, API backend, data engineering.
- Love to learn about new technologies and be dedicated to expanding your skills every day
- Get excited about data engineering, visualization, data science, or just plain problem solving
You will stand out as a candidate if any of these apply to you:
- Demonstrated interest in using data and technology to advance social good in areas like health, education or civic engagement
- Worked with SQL databases in the past, especially if you have built complex SQL data pipelines (with analytic functions, nested queries, and more) on an MPP SQL database system, such as Redshift or Vertica
- Designed data visualizations using libraries like D3
- Experience deploying applications in an AWS environment using automation tools such as Terraform and Ansible, and cluster management/orchestration software like Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience building distributed data processing systems using tools like Spark and Kafka
- Experience with functional programming in Scala (which we use), Clojure, Haskell, or another language