← Back to all jobs
At Dataquest, we teach data science to hundreds of thousands of students worldwide. We help students deeply learn concepts, build projects, and gain the confidence to start new careers. We're all self-taught engineers, data scientists, and marketers, and we're eager to help others take the same journey that we did. Read more about our philosophy here, and read what students think here.
We're a bootstrapped mission-driven team of 15 people, and we've been growing quickly since we launched 3 years ago. We're looking for a frontend engineer to help support and evolve our learning platform. You will mostly be developing new features in support of our product design team. You'll also be making occasional bug fixes to existing features and will likely be involved in redesigning components as we iterate. You'll have a lot of autonomy in how you work and what you work on, as long as it's having an impact on our students.
This is a fully remote role and we are open to applications worldwide. You don't have to match all of the listed requirements to apply -- we're looking for people who can grow along with our team, so please reach out if this job is interesting to you.
We don't have a concrete set of requirements or skills — rather, we'd like to describe some traits that we imagine a successful developer in this role will have. You definitely don't need to match this list perfectly, but if a lot of it resonates with you, or you feel you can craft a different version of this role, get in touch.
- With imperfect knowledge, you are able to dive into a large React codebase and confidently make changes.
- You think about how to measure the effectiveness of the features you work on.
- If you're blocked on something, you instinctively find other things to contribute while you wait for necessary information.
- When you need information, you provide the necessary context for someone to address your concerns without follow-up questions.
- Sometimes you stare into space thinking about how you would explain a topic to someone less familiar with it.
- If a merge request deletes more code than it creates, you think it's a good day.
- You prefer readable code over cleverness.
- You may not do test-driven development all the time, but you prioritize unit tests.
These are some of the technologies you'll be working with at Dataquest:
- We use storybook for prototyping and feedback.
- Mocha and Enzyme for testing.
- Communication with the backend happens over a combination of websockets, GraphQL, and REST APIs, with an emphasis on migrating to GraphQL.
- We use git for source control and GitLab for pipelines.
- We use Jira for organizing and Twist for communication.
At Dataquest, you'll get:
- The opportunity to see your impact on the lives of our students every day.
- The chance to work with an engaged and mission-driven team.
- The chance to contribute to product direction and decisions.
- A supportive environment where you can get help when you run into blockers.
- The ability to work remotely and autonomously.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits if you're in the US
The salary range for this role is $70k USD - $90k USD per year, and it's a full-time remote role.