Senior Front-End Developer - Marketing
This job offer is expired
While there isn't currently an open position, we're always interested in meeting Senior Front-End Developers who are looking to join a team where they can make an impact. If this sounds like your idea of fun, we'd love to meet you. Fill out the form below and we'll be in touch.
Based in Toronto, Format.com is the leading online portfolio platform for professional visual artists around the world to exhibit, market and sell their work. We are a proudly self funded business with tens of thousands of customers across every country worldwide.
If you’re excited about the idea of turning beautiful designs into compelling marketing results which are responsive and also look amazing to both people and search engines, read on!
We’re looking for a Senior Front-End Developer, working locally here in Toronto to join our team of talented and passionate designers and developers. Reporting into the Chief Technology Officer, you’ll be working with our Marketing and Design teams to take high level designs and requirements and implement them across our various marketing projects.
We’re interested in candidates with a keen attention to detail and the ability to create a simple yet remarkable user experience. It’s important that you have the experience and ability to handle gathering and refining specifications and implementing designs across multiple concurrent projects for different stakeholders.
Some examples of our recently launched or updated marketing projects include:
Every member of our team is expected to ship top-notch work and take complete ownership of their responsibilities. In return, this is an incredible opportunity to get down into the trenches of a growing business and product, work with cutting-edge technologies, be immersed in a seriously awesome company culture, and solve challenging problems daily.
- Building and shipping: You love the satisfaction that comes from building software that strikes the perfect balance between simplicity, flexibility, and functionality. You leverage your knowledge, experience, and toolset to maximize your productivity, and you pride yourself on shipping high-quality software every day.
- Consulting and estimating: You deeply understand the unique use cases and challenges of building software for a marketing team. You’re adept at investigating and understanding your team’s requirements, flagging potential issues, and proposing creative solutions. You realize software estimation is a hard problem, but you’re well-versed in estimation approaches and you care deeply about delivering on your commitments.
- Managing requirements, dependencies, and scheduling: You have no problem balancing development commitments for multiple stakeholders, and you’re comfortable managing your own priorities and schedule.
- Fixing and improving: You’re passionate about continuously improving processes, systems, and codebases, and you’re vigilant about keeping a high bar of quality. When you see a problem, you want to fix it, and you’re skilled at uncovering the root causes of problems.
- Communicating: You’re a skilled and fearless communicator -- clear, direct, and to the point, no matter whom you’re communicating with. You recognize that quality of communication is what makes the difference between a good developer and a great one. Whether written or spoken, your colleagues value your ability to distill information into accurate and unambiguous language.
What we’d like to see in our ideal candidate:
- You have 5+ years experience building complex web applications, preferably in the context of a Marketing team
- You understand and are comfortable developing and testing components in React and Redux
- You know the DOM inside and out, including browser-specific quirks
- You have an understanding and can implement responsive layouts in multiple media queries
- You’re excited by the prospect of teaching yourself new technologies as needed
- You’ve used or are interested in learning about transpiled and templating languages such as Haml, SCSS, and ES6
- You understand MVC structured applications and how to use layouts, partials, and view helpers
- You have a strong eye for typography, colour, and layout
- You can transform design mockups into working software with a close attention to
- You can create modular, flexible, and maintainable CSS
- You can contribute your experience to your team and help refine best practices
- You can make informed technology and implementation decisions and justify them
- You can accurately set and meet deadlines
- You’re very comfortable with git and understand commits, revisions, merging, and conflict resolution
Launched in 2008, Format.com has quietly become the leading online portfolio builder for professional visual artists around the world to exhibit, market and sell their work. Situated in Parkdale, with 45+ team members, tens of thousands of customers in over 190 countries, and voted the #1 online portfolio by photographers, designers and artists, we’ve come a long way, but have really only just begun.
Some of the benefits of working here include:
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability
- We frequently celebrate hitting milestones after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny)
- We're proudly self-funded. We answer to our community and no one else!
- In-office perks: a desk equipped with an Aeron chair and top-notch Apple gear (take a peek here), curating what music gets played over our office speakers, yummy catered lunches on Mondays, and drinking as much espresso as you need.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.