This job offer is expired
We are looking for a highly motivated Web Developer to join the Gene Expression development team to contribute to the development of Expression Atlas and of Single Cell Expression Atlas: open science resources that give users a powerful way to find information about gene and protein expression across species and biological conditions such as different tissues, cell types, developmental stages and diseases among others. Expression Atlas provides gene expression results on more than 3,000 experiments (microarray and RNA-sequencing) from over 30 different organisms. Single Cell Expression Atlas is a new added-value database providing information about gene expression in single cells across different cell types, tissues and conditions.
A significant part of your work will involve working on producing the necessary infrastructure and visualization code in the Single Cell Expression Atlas for managing and viewing big-data generated by the Human Cell Atlas (HCA). The HCA project aims to build comprehensive reference maps of all human cells. These maps will provide a foundation for both understanding human health and the molecular basis of disease.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Implementation of React components used by both Expression Atlas and Single Cell Expression Atlas.
- Decisions on how to effectively present complex biological data to end users.
- Choose representation models to efficiently transmit expression data from the back end to the front end code that will consume said data.
- Take part in usability studies and detect requirements from user feedback.
You will also have the opportunity to collaborate in the development and architecture of back end services.
As our new Web Developer, you will be contributing to an open source project of scientific value, and work with complex, big-data driven web applications.
Qualifications and Experience
You should possess a BSc or equivalent in computer science or a related technical subject (e.g. mathematics).
3 or more years of verifiable experience in web development with a proven track record in this area is required (applications should include references to contributed projects and open source repositories).
Essential technical skills:
- Familiarity with single page applications, HTTP semantics, REST APIs and RESTful services
- OO design and design patterns, TDD and continuous integration
- HTML5 and CSS3
Desired technical skills:
- Data visualisation libraries (Highcharts, D3); good UX practices and tasteful UI design; previous experience with Scrum and agile processes; Java web development experience with Spring or Hibernate, Maven; JDBC / SQL; Solr / Lucene or Elastic Search.
Do you love developing code as part of a team? The ability to work within a team is critical to this position. Excellent communication skills and an ability to work to tight deadlines are essential. You will be required to communicate technical documents, to contribute to development team meetings, as well as provide user orientated communication with external and internal users of the systems.