At Gousto, we're looking for someone to help us disrupt the online food industry. You will be helping people to discover, buy and cook delicious food at home without the hassle of recipe books and supermarkets, all with no food waste.
Tech is at the heart of Gousto. After establishing our business model we’re now looking to significantly scale the company in 2018, moving from an established start-up to a high growth business. Tech maintains our website, apps, customer storefront as well as internal tooling, warehousing and logistics. We also have a data science team in tech that works to personalise the experience our customers get, optimise warehouse routing and more.
As a tech team we love using the latest technologies to solve complex problems. We’re heavily invested in AWS using many of its features. Our platform is fully automated using Ansible and we release code to production daily. We’re moving our platform to a microservice architecture and currently have services built in PHP and node.js as well as a number of AWS Lambda functions in Python. Our frontend has a mix of old PHP Laravel (which we’re removing) and React using cssnext and CSS modules. This year we’re aiming to move our services to use GraphQL and be fully migrated onto Kubernetes by the end of 2018.
We’ve grown rapidly since our founding in 2012, seeing a 185% increase in sales over the summer of 2017. Technology remains central to our ability to continue growing and to support this we have bold plans to double our team size during 2018.
To support this growth we are hiring talented and passionate Lead Engineers to act as technical leads for our 6 person Squads in the Web Tribe. Our Web Tribe currently consists of two cross-functional squads, growing to 3 squads by the end of 2018. The Lead Engineer will provide technical leadership and team mentorship, working closely with our Engineering Manager and Technical Architect for the Web Tribe. The Web Tribe is focussed on maintaining and improving our customer facing website and is predominantly focussed on our business critical metrics of acquisition and retention of customers.
What are we looking for?
- Front End / Back End / Full Stack Lead Engineers - we’re passionate about working as full stack, multi-disciplinary teams
- A passion for delivering quality code which is secure and performant whilst delivering to tight deadlines
- The ability to technically lead full stack teams creating a culture of engineering excellence; passionate about engineering practices such as TDD and pair programming
- Experience of mentoring and coaching all levels of Engineer
- Experience of working collaboratively across product, design, test and business teams, influencing a diverse set of stakeholders
- A lifelong learner; someone who’s constantly striving to improve themselves and others
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
As a Lead Engineer at Gousto you will:
- Work with the Web Tribe Engineering Manager to deliver our roadmap across both functional and technical improvements
- Hands-on coding on a daily basis, pairing with others to help develop your squad
- Ensuring all code owned by your squad meets the agreed quality levels; when deadlines are tight ensuring technical debt is cleared up appropriately
- Constantly seeking out ways to improve our platform and the way we work; ensuring these ways are implemented in your squad and sharing best practice with other squads
- Line management is not required for this role, but can be provided if this is something you are passionate about
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's extremely important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
- "tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
- Holidays - Time off for you to enjoy yourself! 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Holiday Purchase - Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends
- Company pension - 1% employer rising to 2% in April 2018
- Healthy Snacks - fruit and ice cream (ok, or not so healthy) provided every single day to keep you fresh
- End of Week Party - Wine, beer and soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- Help us test the Product - As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- Gym Membership - Free membership of a local gym after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials - last quarter we played darts at Flight Club and the previous quarter we enjoyed a summer party at Dinnerama
- Quarterly team socials - our most recent was Axe Throwing