← Back to all jobs
Senior Web Developer
Location: Cambridge, UK, or remote (Must be UK-based)
Rate: £35000 – £45000, dependent on experience
Basis: permanent; full-time, part-time or flexible
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity that works to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness the power of computing and digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn computing and digital making.
In October 2015, we merged with Code Club, followed in May 2017 by a second merger with the CoderDojo Foundation. Together we now represent one of the largest, sustained global efforts to help young people learn computing and digital making. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
We are now looking for someone to join our web team as a Senior Web Developer. The ideal candidate will be an experienced web developer who is driven by working on projects with a positive social impact for large audiences. Experience of either Node.js and/or Ruby on Rails is essential, and any experience of either React or Go would be welcome. You’ll be someone who can step back from the code and see the bigger picture, you’ll be happy mentoring other team members, improving processes, and you’ll have good communication skills.
You’ll join a team of eight developers and designers who work in Cambridge or remotely from around the UK. We work collaboratively in cross-disciplinary teams, being as agile as possible in our working styles and releases. We use remote collaboration tools like GitHub and Slack to communicate effectively, and we encourage pair programming.
We’d be very interested to see what skills you could bring to the team. We would like you to be able to tell us about projects that you’ve been a part of, particularly focusing on how your work has been useful to users.
While we expect you to come with an impressive track record, you will be joining a fast-growing non-profit organisation that offers unparalleled opportunities for development and growth. We pride ourselves on being a brilliant place to work, with a fantastic team and positive work culture. As a team, we all come from a wide variety of backgrounds, so as long as you are interested in helping us fulfil our mission, we are interested in speaking to you.
- Work on web projects and products across the Raspberry Pi Foundation
- Collaboratively deliver high-quality working software with measurable impact
- Work as part of small, cross-functional, agile teams
- Write clean, secure code following a test-driven approach
- Work with other Senior Developers to improve processes and code quality across our projects
- Lead and help plan development on our projects and products
- Have an understanding of all our systems, and share this with others on the team
- Coach and mentor other members of the team
- Find ways to improve release processes, resilience, and stability
Experience and personal attributes
You should have:
- Demonstrable experience of working as a professional web developer
- Empathy and a pragmatic attitude
- Experience of working in an agile team
You’ll ideally have:
- Experience of pair programming
- Experience of writing automated software tests
- Experience of working with user researchers and designers
- An interest in education, especially around computer science
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of additional benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days’ annual leave
- A generous company pension scheme of 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance
- Generous shared parental leave
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare or other commitments
- Bike-to-work and season ticket loan schemes
- Investment in professional development and learning
- Monthly maker days to improve your digital making skills
- Monthly all-staff meetings and socials
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee, beverages in all our offices
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 12:00 noon, 17 August 2018
Face-to-face interviews: Week beginning 3 September 2018Apply now
or subscribe to receive job offers in your e-mail
You may also like
React Native Developer Augusto Consulting
Senior Developer Apartment Therapy Media